Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Smell

Smells. I have a particular part of my memories that are linked directly to smells. Kim's the same way. Makes it nice. Scientists say that we store our first memories through smells. We must because we have no knowledge of language yet. There are times that I smell something, I can't place what it is exactly, but very definite emotions grip me. Sometimes even physical reactions. I can concentrate and smell things from memory.

I remember the smell of the nursery at Pathway Baptist Church. I was three. Very definite smell. Kinda musty. When I smell that smell, I can see the black and white linoleum, the pictures on the walls, the plastic rocking horse, the old ceramic sink in the bathroom. Feel the sensation of seeing my mother at the door after a separation of hours. The elation. The absolute joy. It was like I had forgotten her and then there she was. Looking for me. Smiling at me. Reaching to pick me up.

I remember the smell of my mother. Light, powdery, sweet. The smell was most potent on her neck. I remember laying my head on her shoulder as she carried me. I can see the freckles on her neck. Hear the hum of her voice in her throat. See her hands. A few months ago in Dollar General, I caught her scent. Stopped me dead in my tracks. I scooped Gracie up and asked if she could smell it. "That's what Bubbe smelled like Gracie. That's her smell." And just that quickly, it was gone.

I remember the smell of my godfather, Mike. He wore cologne or musk. When he would come visit, Kim and I would sleep in the den and he would sleep in my bed. (bottom bunk) When he left, I would beg Mother not to change my pillowcase. He smelled like laughter and fun. His eyes were bright blue and he had fluffy hair. (It was 1978.) He drove a motorcycle and married a woman who looked like a tree frog. I have no idea what happened to him.

I remember the smell of Chris when we first kissed. He smelled like man. Warm, strong, tentative, gentle.

I remember the smell of the house my mother died in. Misery, blood, death, decay. It makes me see it again. Kim and I would chew Trident Tropical gum to block some of the smell. Now the smell of that gum is ever connected to that place. Pain.

I remember the smell of Brendan's cloth diapers that he slept with like a security blanket. Liquid Lysol, fabric softener. I can remember standing next to his baby bed, watching him sleep. I remember feeding him his first baby food. I remember falling asleep with him in my arms. Playing peek-a-boo with his cloth diaper. Mother called it his 'ether diaper' because as soon as you put it to his face, out he went. Lovely.

I remember the smell of our first apartment. My first place of my own.

I remember the smell of my grandmother's green, fake leather couch. The seat lifted up and you could keep coloring books under it.

I remember waking up at my Granny's house smelling her homemade biscuits baking. And she was always singing or humming. I remember watching my PaPa eat the biscuits by sopping up some kind of dark syrup.

I remember the smell of my Aunt Pam. Clorox and ammonia. Very clean.

I'm reminded of the Scripture that says "We are the aroma of Christ to God." That's 2 Cor. 2:15. My footnote says, "That we are a sweet aroma to God means that He delights in us and in our lives." I am connected to God in every way. He sees me. He hears me. He smells me.

I am resting. Lying back in His arms, breathing Him in. He loves me. He is drawing me to Himself, changing me. He enjoys being with me.

Will we smell in heaven? What does God smell like? Is it a smell you can taste? A smell that evokes emotion? A smell that completes every other smell? Oh, I can't wait. If heaven smells anything like my Mother, my Granny's homemade biscuits and my husband... well... I'll have died and gone to heaven.

9 comments:

Kim said...

I love this post.
I have smell things, too, but they're mostly weird. Like I remember what first grade smells like (White Linen perfume), and I remember what seventh grade smells like (Lady Stetson perfume), my mom's house has always smelled like Tide (probably why I like Tide so much), and my grandmother smells like tea rose. I do love having memories attached to smells, it almost makes it concrete. Great post.

Tricia Speaks said...

Oh I am so glad that others get the joy of that sensation! Smells are my most treasured memories..Grandmother always smelled of cigarettes and Anais Anais. Din Din always smelled of Old English. I can remember the house in Leeds, always smelled of roasts cooking for some reason. My children all have a uniquely wonderful smell to me....Crissy, I am so happy that you can recall those memories so sharply...I think these are God's blessings to us.

Anonymous said...

When Brian was overseas, I used to sleep with one of his shirts on my pillow. It was one he had already worn. He doesn't wear perfumey colongnes or deoderant but he definately has his own smell. Falling asleep with one of his shirts somehow made him feel closer to me and safe. I always slept better then and nights weren't as hard to get through. I love this post because I have my favorite smells too.

heather said...

This is a wonderful post I love that smells bring memories my PawPaw always smelled like musk and Auqa Net I used to stand in the bathroom when he fixed his hair and he would spray it like crazy. He help put the whole in the ozone because he always used an aresol (spelling?) can. P.S. count me in for Saturday.

Missy said...

Such a thoughtfilled post. I really enjoyed reading it.
Right now I smell my Nana's house!
Thanks for the thoughts. :)

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

Grandmother smelled like White Shoulders perfume. She wore it all the time.

Mike's 2nd wife did look like a treefrog. I hadn't made the connection. lol That is too funny.

Scott definitely has his "man" smell. Makes me want to eat him up when I smell it.

I forgot the "ether diaper" part. It really did have that effect on both boys.

One that you didn't list is Dad. He smells like the cologne that the German teacher brought back from Europe. He smells warm, comforting, safe.

I think that God's smell is perfect, the best of everything that we can remember. He is the perfect Creator of all good things.

kimmi

Missy said...

After I said I smell my Nanas house, I got a package in the mail from her. As soon as I opened it up it smelled exactly how I knew it would!

quinn said...

while there are some disturbing things written here, things which i will forever regret reading (Scott definitely has his "man" smell. Makes me want to eat him up when I smell it.)none the less, it's a good post. i was thinking reading the verse you quoted...i think its a throw back to the old testament sacraficial system. specifically the burnt offerings of leviticus. when they would burn the offering they would also play music and sing as the smoke rose upward. it is said that this is a pleasing aroma to God. so, in a sense, the church is now fulfilling that role. we are a sweet smell to God. because of the work of Christ, we please the God very God of the universe. so yeah, i think there will be wonderful aroma in heaven. the sweet smell of the righteous son seated on the throne. the culmination of all that is good.
hope you guys are having fun this evening...

Marsha said...

Loved this post! I remember the smell of my Pop-Pop's barn. Occasionally I'll be somewhere outdoors and I can smell it again. My Mom always smelled (and still does) like Nozema (sp?). I could go on but won't.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...