Sunday, November 04, 2007

Glimpses

Okay, okay... I know that I've posted twice already today but I cannot help myself. I can hear my mother calling me narcissistic. For some reason I think people will read it. But sometimes I just gotta. There's a line from You've Got Mail that I love. It says something along the lines of sending thoughts into the void. I like that.

My two oldest children took Communion today for the first time. It was a deeply profound moment in time. We take Communion very seriously at our home. It is a sacrament. It is a mysterious way that we are fed by Christ. I'm sure someone more brilliant than I could attempt to explain it. Come on, G... give it a shot.

Anyhow, my kids spent most of yesterday thinking on it and repenting. Trying to prepare their hearts for worship. It helped that I iron the Communion cloths and since it was Chris' turn, we were in charge of cutting up the bread. We, quite literally, spent hours getting ready for today. And thinking about Christ's amazing gift of love and sacrifice. His body broken for us. His blood spilled for us. Why? We are a stubborn and selfish people. We don't even want to think about Him. And yet He pours out His life for us.

Luther prayed straight from Psalm 119:94 when he prayed " I am yours; save me." I am yours; save me. I am yours; save me. Over and over. I never tire of it. Psalm 119 is a treasure that I never understood.

But I begin to get a glimspe of the truth that the law is not evil. The law is good. And not just because it shows me my need of Christ. "Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law" Verse 18. God's boundless character is there to be discovered.

"Let me understand the teaching of your precepts; then I will meditate on your wonders. My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word. "

The law does not save me. Only Christ can save me. I am now free from the chains that bind me to the law and I am free to obey it. Without fear of consequence of failing, which I will inevidably do. I can see His face in His word. I can know His heart in prayer. These things I do out of love... not fear.

"I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free. " Psalm 119:32

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I admit, I never took Communion that seriously before we started going to Community. But there is something sacred and beautiful about it, isn't there? And please don't hesitate to post Chrissy, I enjoy your blogs so much!

Les said...

Narcissistic? No way! Just extremely self-centered and self-absorbed. Oh wait... same thing :-Þ

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...