Friday, January 18, 2008

It's The End of The World... Get Milk And Bread!

Snow has a strange effect on people. Some love it. Some hate it. Some are afraid of it. Some feel the need to horde milk and bread because of it.

Snow makes me live in the moment. I can't let myself think about the consequences of snow, esp. the melting part. Messy, muddy, dirty, gross. Do I let myself think about that part? Nope. I just ignore the grown-up voice in my brain and enjoy the moment. The prettiness. The other-worldliness. The loveliness of snow.

I like snow the best when it comes during the night. I love waking up to the sight of it out my window. Now, because I'm all grown-up, I can tell just by the kind of light coming thru the window. But as a kid, I had to race to the window, holding my breath... oh please, please, please.... yank up the shade...YES! Snow! And then the happy-happy-snow dance begins. Um, oh yeah, uh-huh, uh-huh...

When I was a kid, my mother always made snow ice cream. I can't remember the recipe. I wish she was alive so that I could call her. Or better yet have her come over and stay with us so that I could watch her make it for my kids. Oh well.

Hopefully, we will have snow tomorrow. My kids will be soooo happy. And I can watch their version of the happy-happy-snow dance. I love being a mother.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'm good. I've got milk, bread, and Kashi cereal. Now it can snow. I actually did run to the window when I woke up. Disappointed. I keep turning on Fox and watching Mickey Ferguson (idiot) do the snow dance. I'm thinking that children doing a snow dance is a LOT cuter than Mickey Ferguson doing a snow dance.

Anonymous said...

I kept singing that song by REM "It's the end of the world as we know it...It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fiiiiiiine!" over and over to my cousin as we drove down Saturday. She laughed at me and then when my mom called me on my cell phone, my cousin yelled in the background "O, my gosh, it's a blizzard!!!" We had her in a panic, it was great stuff.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...