Sunday, January 27, 2008

Longings and Heavy Sighs and Thankfulness

I wish that I was perfect. I wish that I was never lazy or mean or self-involved. I know that Ty gets aggravated with me sometimes. He just can't understand how I can not mind the house being messy. Because it really bothers him. He can't sleep if his room is messed up. And I can sleep even if I can't walk around to my side of the bed. I just crawl over.

I wish, in some ways, that I could be more like my son. Thoughtful, organized, kind, tenderhearted. I wish that I could do math in my head like he can. I hate that I disappoint him.

But, at the same time, I wish he could be a little more like me. Not shy, flexible... ummm... I guess that's it.

We were trying to remember the last time he got a spanking. We honestly couldn't, it's been that long. But today, I grounded him. Deliberately disobeyed. I asked him tonight why. "I guess I just didn't trust you. I'm sorry, Momma."

It's hard when your kids get older. They start thinking and stuff. Then they recognize that I'm not always right. But, here comes the rub, they still have to obey. They don't trust that I have a reason for what I say. And sometimes, quite honestly, I'm just not trustworthy. I don't think about what they're saying or asking, I just do what's easiest for me at the time. And then when they defy, I still have to discipline. Hard.

Most of the time, I do have a reason for what I'm saying.
"Get your coat and get in the van."
"But it's not cold. It's 56 degrees."
Now, I know, from looking online that the temperature is going to drop while we're gone. Therefore the 'get your coat' comment. But I don't always explain myself. I shouldn't have to. Obey. It's that simple. Sometimes I do explain, but not always, just to make them trust me.

I recognize myself in my children. God gives me instruction and I buck. I try to avoid obedience. Why? Because I don't trust that He has a plan and knows what He's talking about. I don't believe that He really loves me. I mean, why should I carry a coat of it's warm? And then I freeze my butt off, spiritually speaking, because I didn't trust.

Which brings me to the purpose of discipline. God doesn't punish us. He disciplines. I discipline my children. Why? Not to make them miserable for disobeying but to remind them to trust me. To bring them back to me when they've gone their own way. God brings me back to Himself over and over and over. I wander off, He brings me back. He really is my Father.

Anyway, this is just what's on my heart right now. Longings and heavy sighs and thankfulness. I long for perfection. I sigh with disappointment. Then I sigh with relief when my Father runs to me, kisses me, kills the fattened calf for me. And then, I am thankful. Oh, to see the same thankfulness in my children.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crissy, you are such a beatiful writer. I feel every word you are saying and I re-read your posts over and over. I'm so drawn to what you have to say. You take something that would be terribly hard for me to explain and you walk my poor little brain through the process to where I get you. That's really cool, I have such a difficult time explaining myself. Brian gets frustrated a lot!

When I finished reading this, I couldn't help but remember our book we are reading in small groups "Shepherding a Child's Heart". I remember feeling totally unequipped when it comes to disciplin and the whole "Do it because I said so" thing. And it was such a revelation to me when I realized that for our children to obey us as parents, is to obey God. I thought that was pretty cool. I know you have heard that before and you know what I'm talking about but I guess I just wanted to bring that up for you once more. Kinda takes some of the pressure off of us as parents I think.

I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say, I'm still a newby. I just love your posts! Thank you for reminding me God's calling for parents.

heather said...

Zachary and Ty are so much alike. I have to explain to him if he doesn't believe me when I tell him. Iknow when he just says yes but really thinks I am an idiot. So I have really had to teach him to just trust me which is so not easy.

Ginger said...

I love how you wrote this. I love that you know your children so well and ponder over yourself and them. I'm not sure I know the difference between punish and discipline. I don't know what I'm doing. I just trust my Father will teach me and guide me. Thanks for those words.

Missy said...

I love the words in that Casting Crowns song when they say...
"I'm not holding on to You, but Your holding on to me."
Tru Dat girl!
As usual...love your longings, heavy sighs, and thankfulnesses!

Kim said...

Man, I'm such a bad mother.

I forget so often that it's not about me being the queen of the universe.

Thanks.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...