Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Robot Beginnings

Ty is building his second robot. His first looked like the Honda robot, sort of human. This robot is a car. Solar powered.

What have I learned? I have learned that I don't have to know very much about robots. Ty's old enough to read and to a degree, teach himself. Accuators. Sensors. He knows, I don't. I've found some good resources to give him. Movies, magazine articles, kits.

I've learned that interest and motivation are key. Some things, he has no options about. He will write reports, etc. But if he's interested in a topic, he'll find a way to learn more.

It's a little strange to not know some of the things that he's learning. A little bit of letting go.

3 comments:

Missy said...

That's very cool! And it's one of the things I have really grown to like about Homeschooling.
After Logan does the basics he is free to do whatever he wants, and in his case it usally means still learning about something else.
Did you know that Teddy Roosevelt almost went blind as a child from snake venom? See, things my son has learned while sitting on the potty! Now what local school has a big old book of Literary knowledge in the bathroom for little tykes to learn from?

Can Ty teach Logan to build robots bc I too am lacking in the knowledge of that area. Better yet, can Ty just homeschool all of our kids?

Anonymous said...

He needs to talk with Brian. Brian is all about taking things apart and looking at how the insides work. I can't tell you how many electronics this man has "improved" upon by taking them apart and putting them back together again. Very cool.

Hey, what room is your class in on Wednesday nights. I want to attend!

Crissy said...

Upstairs, first room on the left.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...