Saturday, October 25, 2008

More good news.

Grace had no episodes last night. She is responding to the antibiotics even better than the doctor had hoped. Dr. Benton seemed genuinely surprised and pleased at the way she's responded.

There was some worry over her blood work from yesterday, her renal panels looked elevated. So they drew more blood at 5am today and those results were good. Her kidney function looks normal. There is still some concern about her kidneys. There is always the chance that such a prolonged infection could have left scarring but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

Gracie's temperature has been low. I think that's a reaction to having had such a high fever for so long. Her temp today has not gotten above about 96.8. The doctor said that she's not worried about that. It's more than likely her body's response to the antibiotics. Sort of like taking a break from all the work it's had to do to keep her alive these past two weeks. Also they're keeping the ibuprofen in her regularly... I'm sure that has something to do with it too.

They want to do another urine culture just to make sure that the infection is doing what we think it's doing. She has no pain, swelling or bleeding to give us a measurement of what the infection's doing. None of the 'regular' signs of UTI. That still puzzles me. Her urethra never got infected. The doctor said that with the level of infection that she has, they would really have expected her to be bleeding and swollen. Nope. None of that. Strange.

Also strange that her urine test on the 13th showed no infection. Dr. Fugazzotto was pretty upset about that. Upset that she suffered for so long. Wishing that he could have helped her. But, really, we all did everything we could have done. I can't look back and think of anything that he or I should have done differently. Meticulous Providence.

So, if she continues to improve, has no set backs, can stay hydrated without the IV and gets some food in her, we might can come home tomorrow. I would really, really like that. My back hurts from the distinctly sub-par sleeping arrangements.

The doctors here will continue to monitor her blood cultures. They will send everything to Dr. F, who will then keep me posted. (turns out he was right all along... she was never contagious)

So that's what new. We took a walk with Uncle Teddy today. We watched a SpongeBob marathon. Then I read while she played with her new Barbie. (Thank you, Jeremy!) So we'll hang out and see. Thanks for your continued prayers. I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

great to hear!!! still showering you all with prayer!

Missy said...

Can I stop praying now? ;)






Just kidding! I'm so glad things are lookin up :)

Les said...

OK I have been so completely out of the loop that I didn't even know what was going on and how sick Gracie was until 2 days ago! How disconnected am I? We were without the internet for a while and I just got it back a few days ago and I hadn't read blogs until yesterday and I was floored!!! I am so glad sweet Gracie is feeling better! I cried when I was catching up on what was going on. Please let me know if I can do anything (sorry if it's too late to help!). I love you and your family so much!

Laura said...

So happy to read this. Mysterious that her body has not behaved typically. But so thankful that she is better ... and you sound more rested.

Am longing for a visit with you, my friend. Will look forward to you two coming home.

Laura said...

So happy to read this. Mysterious that her body has not behaved typically. But so thankful that she is better ... and you sound more rested.

Am longing for a visit with you, my friend. Will look forward to you two coming home.

TurtlesButterfly said...

Yay!! I'm so glad Gracie is feeling better. It stinks she was sick so long, but thankful that it didn't take nearly that long for her to start feeling better. Hope you're back home and comfortable tomorrow!

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...