Friday, October 17, 2008

Rough Week

Well, we went to the ER today. Gracie has been sick for 8 days with fever, pain and some vomiting. I've taken her to the pediatrician twice and finally today when she started having weird neurological symptoms, I called the doctor back and was told to go to the ER. So off we go...
Oh, did I mention that she's been exposed to viral meningitis?

Viral meningitis is a viral infection, duh, that will run its coarse in 7-10 days. This being day 8, to do a spinal tap would be, in the words of the doctor, "torture". All we can do is treat the symptoms, make her comfortable. One doctor "felt comfortable" with the diagnosis of viral meningitis. The other two didn't want to go that far... So, we have to follow up with the pediatrician on Monday - again. Grrr.

In the meantime, her fever is spiking to 104, her neck is stiff and her stomach is cramping. Her skin will get as red as a sunburn and she'll just lay here and whimper. It breaks my heart.

Her daddy is cheering her up right now by playing Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. He said it reminds him of her when her fever's high. She's smiling.

My mouth hurts. Not too bad though. The swelling is much better. It hurts to smile too big. A friend called today and put it very well... "Rough week." That pretty much sums it up.

3 comments:

TurtlesButterfly said...

Bonnie had called me from work to say you were on your way there with Gracie. I said..."geesh that family has been through the wringer this week." Prayers that the weekend will be one of healing and next week will be an ultimate high after all these lows.

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

tell kimmi-g that i said hey and that i love her.

Kim said...

I'm so sorry... I hope there's a turn soon.

"When I was young I had a fever; my hands swelled just like two balloons.
Now I've got that feeling once again. I can't explain; you would not understand. This is not how I am.
I am comfortably numb."

For your amusement. And for Pink Floyd righteousness.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...