Sunday, October 05, 2008

My Stupid Mouth

Have I ever mentioned that I hate my teeth? Well, I do. Maybe I shouldn't since I've spent sooo much time and money on them. I have terrible teeth. I brush with an expensive Sonicare toothbrush, use Crest ProHealth, rinse with mouthwash, floss and get my teeth cleaned every six months. And still with the bad teeth.

I went to the dentist not long ago and found out, to my great joy, that all I had left to do was one root canal and two crowns. I was excited. That would bring my grand total up to six root canals and 14 crowns. Geez. But I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just two more teeth and then maybe I could live my life like a normal person.

But no, that is not how it shall be. I now have what I believe to be an absessed tooth... and it's not one of the teeth the dentist told me about. *sigh* It hurts. The entire right side of my face is throbbing.

I do ask God, "Why?". I would love to know how spending thousands of my husband's hard earned dollars on my mouth brings God glory. I'm not being sarcastic... I really would. I would love to be able to understand why I have to hurt so often. Chris says that I shouldn't rage helplessly against something that I have no control over but, instead, I should trust God. And, oh, how I long to. I want for it not to bother me. I want to not feel like a failure. I want to say with the utmost sincerity, "Blessed be the name of the Lord." But instead I find myself wanting to cry.

I am so very glad that God is bigger than my stupid mouth. I am so very relieved that He has a plan that includes this pain and that it will bring Him glory. It's so easy to feel sorry for myself and so hard to believe the gospel right now. But He is here and He is good.

And tomorrow, I go to the dentist.

8 comments:

Jawan said...

One word.....Vicodine.

Laura said...

Regarding abcessed teeth, three words ... Worse than labor.

Anonymous said...

o, girl, i'm so sorry! i'm glad you are at least trying to find the gospel in the midst of this!

but yes, jawan is so right...vicodine

Kim said...

I'm sorry. Blame the children.

Missy said...

I could bring my tools and take care of it for you. I only charge half of what those other guys are charging.

Oh wait, we're not friends anymore, I might have to charge you full price.

Sorry :( Praying for your toofies.

heather said...

Purr baby. I am so sorry your teeth hurt. No fun.

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

I feel your pain about the bad teeth. Same genes. UGH!!

TurtlesButterfly said...

On the bright side...you still have teeth :) Sorry to hear your teeth are hurting...I've been blessed with terrible teeth as well.
~Wendy

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...