Friday, November 21, 2008

Spoiler Alert

Okay, Virge asked me to be more specific about the "plot issues." So here I go. If you're not interested in Twilight or are just tired of hearing about it, move on. Skip this post. And don't complain about it later, I've given you full disclosure.



One plot issue that I had was about Edward's constantly feeling guilty over Bella's life being in danger. I was more identifying with Bella's perspective, which was that she loved him and it wasn't him threatening her. But in the movie, more specifically, in the scene where they've just left Charlie's house and Bella is crying because she knows that she's just hurt him, the look of agony on Edward's face finally brought it home to me. He's right. It was his fault that she was even in a place where she would encounter other vampires. And you could see the anguish of seeing Bella hurting and scared and confused and knowing it was because of who and what he was. The scene was excellently played.

The other issue I had was that in the book he always seemed "outwardly" to be in control of himself. Even reading Midnight Sun didn't help me shake the feeling that he was always in control. But in the scene following where he'd rescued Bella from the drunk men, he said all the same words as in the book, only I could hear the emotion in them. Aahhh... I get it. So much of a character is in the body language.

The movie also helped me grasp the extent of Carlisle's compassion. And also the headship that he had assumed with his "family", the respect that he commanded from the others.

I think that's all. I've heard others say that the way Edward's skin sparkled was ruined by the fact that he had chest hair... I didn't even notice that. I also didn't notice the foggy atmosphere when he was playing the piano... I was just thinking how cool it was that Robert can play.

Jasper was funny to me. As were the scenes of Carlisle "turning" the others. Kinda hokey. And Edward sucking the venom from Bella's arm was a little embarrassing, he was really, really enjoying it. I did truly miss the scene in the lunchroom when Edward sits at the table by himself and crooks his finger and Bella and then winks. I like that scene.

Overall, I think they did a good job. I think for the next movie they might consider a different director and a tripling of the budget. I'd like to see it again. I think I'll like it more the next time.

So, I hope that answers your question, Virginia. And if you want to call me and talk about it, I'm sure Chris would appreciate it... he's tired of being the brunt of all my ruminations, I'm sure.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I have been meaning to blog about Twilight but you guys are saying everything I think. I loved it. I mean I COULD pick it apart in some areas but overall it was just so much fun.

I think we should put on a play :)

Virginia said...

Ooooh thanks for all of the insight! I totally see what you are saying. I love hearing the way other people view & see the series. Carlisle's compassion is really one of my favorite things in the whole series. I love the way he and Esme operate together.

I have some theories about the way Stephanie Meyer's faith (she's LDS) has affected the storyline. We must talk about it some. Maybe I can come to your house on a Friday night soon and we can discuss!

Missy said...

Carlisle. Who's your Daddy???!!!

Amber said...

Oh good. this was a very helpful post...haven't seen it yet, but I like knowing a little about it before I go. (I usually don't mind spoilers). That way I know what to expect. Your opinions/descriptions are usually right on too. Tansy hasn't read the book, so needless to say, we didn't go see it while in CA. Didn't have time anyway. So, I'm REALLY looking forward to it. See you in a bit!!!

Amber said...

Oh good. this was a very helpful post...haven't seen it yet, but I like knowing a little about it before I go. (I usually don't mind spoilers). That way I know what to expect. Your opinions/descriptions are usually right on too. Tansy hasn't read the book, so needless to say, we didn't go see it while in CA. Didn't have time anyway. So, I'm REALLY looking forward to it. See you in a bit!!!

Amber said...

um sorry it posted twice. Don't know how that happened. Feel free to delete it (and this one) if you know how.

Laura said...

I agree on almost every point, with this post and the last. Edward was, in fact, heavenly. This movie sold me on his character. He wasn't real in the books -- too perfect -- and that REALLY bothered me. But I thought his character as portrayed in the movie was both strong and vulnerable, and I loved the deepness of his love for Bella and the intensity with which he communicated it to her. As for the venom-sucking scene --well, you and I have already discussed our common view of that one. The baseball scene was one of my favorites, along with all scenes at the school where we saw the eclectic Cullen family. My only point of disagreement ... Jasper's hair; it was strangely appealing to me.

Anonymous said...

Ok... I posted my thoughts here - http://emreads.blogspot.com/2008/11/plans-thwarted.html

It's midway down.

Btw, I had so much fun, fun, fun with everyone.

Edward smiles w/ furrowed brow ->{:o)

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...