Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Magic Attic

We decorated our house today. Which means that we had to pull down the attic stairs, climb the steps and enter the magic portal that is "the attic". So much excitement for a thing that most consider a chore.

I climbed up first. Then one by one, the children had to come up. They had to, the attic is an irresistable force that cannot be denied. It calls them to view their world from a different perspective. The attic fan is so much bigger up top than it is from the hallway. The can light over the porch seems so much closer in the attic. The pictures in the hallway look so far below. And then there's the cool stuff.

My old Holly Hobby sleeping bag is visible in its space bag. There are boxes full of school work from earlier years. A box containing Wizard of Oz collectible plates, another box has a model train set. And their old baby bed is stored there. Maggie's collection of glass dolls is in a box up there. It's like a family museum.

I love to just sit on my perch at the edge of the hole and listen to them observing their world from up above. Until I get cold that is. Then it's time to come down, back into middle earth, above the scary blackness that is "the Crawlspace" but below the magic of "the Attic."

4 comments:

Kim said...

I remember feeling that way about the attic at our house... oooh, it's so spooky and cool!

heather said...

I make Darrin go up in the attic. I am to clumsy to go up there. I would probably fall straight through.

Anonymous said...

I played in my attic today too. Just kidding...no preggos allowed up there. lol.

Brian doesn't allow me to go up there, pregnant or not. He's familiar with his wife's clumsy nature. I have no idea what he is talking about.

Anonymous said...

AHH! The Attic! Where treasures real and imagined abound! Even a place where one might speculate that the dust beaneath their feet may be from another decade or century! A tangeable link to the past! Bekah

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...