Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Far-away Friends, God and the Internet

When I was young, I had no out of state friends or relations. My entire world was centered in Central Alabama. Then my Uncle Teddy and his family moved to Mississippi and then Arkansas. But that was the exception. Plus, I still saw them as much as usual. So it didn't seem like they were even gone. I assumed, in my innocence, that life would always be that way. It's very comfortable to have everyone where you want them.

Then my sister moved to North Carolina. For a boy! (my brother-in-law Scott) Gross! But I didn't like her all that much at the time, so ... no big loss. From that point on, it seemed like way too many people started moving. Apparently, God had forgotten about our little plan to keep my life comfortable. I took the time to remind him, but as I was to learn later, God's ways are NOT my ways. Then my friends from church, Laura Childs and Rachel Ellis, both moved! Good grief. We lost touch, which made me sad.

Now, years later, I have friends all over the country. But it was my sweet friend, Jawan, who got me addicted to the internet. I can talk to my friends every day! Amber is in California - but we chat and send jokes. Laura Childs (who is now Laura Kessler) and I have rediscovered our friendship via e-mail. It seems like my cousin Brad and I only talk by e-mail. My newest friend, Angela, who moved to Mississippi against my will, and for the flimsiest of reasons (something about all her family being there... I don't know) and I talk and send pictures by e-mail. *side note- Angela, call me!* Jawan and I have never quit talking. (ok... no comments on that statement)

I guess my point is... God is big. Way bigger than is comfortable to me. Some say that the internet is full of sin and temptation, which can be true. But like with everything else, God uses it for his providential plan. I think the fact that God puts such special friends in my life for a time and then moves them away has made me trust Him almost more than anything else. It sounds ridiculously corny but friends are always connected if they have Christ in common. I can't bring myself to quote Michael W. Smith. Sorry.

Every new change reminds me that God is in complete control and He is good. Plus he loves my socks off. I can trust Him. (even when I don't like it)

2 comments:

Jawan said...

I love your socks off, too! BTW, thanks for not quoting Michael W. Smith....

Crissy said...

I have to be honest though, the song was running through my head. I couldn't help myself.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...