Thursday, October 27, 2005

Patrick

Some of you know Chris' brother, Patrick. Others of you may not. I need to preface this blog by saying that I didn't get Patrick's permission to talk about him. So I might delete it if it makes him very uncomfortable. That said...

Chris has one brother, five years younger. His name is Patrick. He is almost the direct physical opposite of Chris. Chris is relatively short, Patrick is really tall. Chris is broad shouldered and muscular, Patrick is more on the lanky side. Chris is beautifully bald, Patrick has thick, dark hair. But they both have blue eyes. Chris looks like their Dad, Patrick looks like their Mom. Chris is very practical with a bent towards engineering, Patrick is very hip, with a trend towards design. They are like all good things wrapped into two people.

Some people are born with a natural charisma- Patrick is one of these people. He has a pretty face and a sharp mind. But most of all, I think, is that he has a generous, loving spirit. He listens well and is very, very funny. Very witty. He sings and knows all the latest trends. He has a cd out. Ckeck it out at www.patrickwilliamsharp.com

To my children, he is the closest thing to Santa Claus that they'll ever know. He flies on airplanes every week, for heaven's sake. That's very cool to a kid. He has lots of neat toys. Like an ipod, laptop, and camera phone. Plus, the last time he visited, he brought Silly String! And when he's here for a long visit, each kid gets a date with him that usually includes a trip to Target. He plays in the floor with them and listens to what they have to say. What more could you ask for as a kid?

But the thing that I've observed over the years is the way he's grown up in Christ. He went from being someone that I admired to being someone I respect. For me, that says a lot. There is something tangible about a man who loves God. It eminates from him in waves. If a man says he loves Christ but really doesn't, you can tell. But if a man adores Christ, he doesn't even have to say anything, you can just tell. Patrick has a strength and peace about him now. It above all else makes him beautiful.

Chris' dad is a wonderful model for his boys. He loves the Lord in a strong, steady way. And he loves their mother fiercely. He has more love in him than almost any other person I've ever known. Except his sons. There is a familial bond there that amazes me. It's not the kind that makes them call each other every day. It's stronger than that, all that's not necessary. They know that they love each other. And I am a part of that now. I am their daughter. Margaret calls me their "daughter-in-love". (I won't talk about Margaret now, she's a completely separate post.)

I see my husband and brother-in-law and father-in-law and I am humbled. They each love the Lord in their own way that leads me to trust even more. They make the people around them more beautiful. That's the way God designed it to be.

I look at my sons with joyful anticipation.

No comments:

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...