Thursday, December 13, 2007

Gracie can talk... a lot! She reminds me so much of myself. My mother always said that I could talk to a stump if I could get it to stand still long enough. Grace meets no strangers.

There is an old lady that lives next door to Chris' grandmother. She only has one son, my age, who never married and works all the time. He never comes to see her. She has a little dog named Lou-Lou, who, she says, believes in Santa. Anyways, woe be it to you if she catches you outside. This woman will talk to you forever! I know it's cause she's lonely but if you've got a full bladder, it can be quite painful.

She talks really loudly and abruptly. She 'bout scared the crap outta me this morning. I was halfway up the ladder into the attic in the garage, when she hollered "YOU BETTER BE CAREFUL!" I had no idea she was even outside. I almost fell of the ladder.

So, today, as I was doing some work around the house for Mom, (that's what we all call Chris' grandmother) Grace decided to go outside to visit with Nan. After about 10 or 15 minutes, she came back in and said, "Nan said that she had to go inside and eat breakfast."

My baby out-talked her! Oh yeah. She talked the lady back into her house. It cracked us up.

I realized again this morning just how selfish I am. Here is someone who is lonely and I avoid her. Mom calls her and invites her over for holidays. She's always sharing the gospel with her. And I try to get away from her as quickly as possible.

I'm very thankful for Mom's example. It has been a blessing to be able to spend so much time with her. She's 93 years old. She had a stroke almost 10 years ago. We've been staying with her every Wednesday night for 9 and 1/2 years. We feed her and help her. Last night, we put up all her Christmas decorations: tree, wreaths, village. She rolled her wheelchair into the living room and watched us, laughing and smiling. Good times!

She is confined to her wheelchair and her home but if you ask her, all she'll say is that she has a good life. God has been good to her.

She met Adam and Jordan today. She was surprised at how young Adam is and I think she fell a little in love with Jordan... but then again, who doesn't?

My life is very blessed. I am thankful.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, hello Mrs. Sharp! Good to hear from you again. I was a talker when I was Gracie's age too. It didn't help me much when I was in school. I always felt like I annoyed people. Loved what you wrote about Mom, she sounds like a really neat lady. We could learn a lot from her generation, couldn't we.

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

Mom is a neat lady who has welcomed my little family as part of her own. I can only pray to be as alert and mentally agile at 93. (It would be an improvement over my mind now. lol) Mom Shirley is a Godly example of how to be Gospel-focused, relationally and every other way I can think of. We need to pay attention to the Mom Shirley's of the Kingdom; they have a lot to share.

Kim P

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

I for got to add that Gracie-girl CAN TALK!!! Just like her mama. lol Gracie is Crissy all over again. It's a hoot.

Kim P

Les said...

Poor Gracie, it's in her DNA, she will grow up to be the 'conversation dominator'!

Jawan said...

Watch out 'cause soon Gracie will be spitting out some verbal diarreha that seems to run rampant in the bloodline.

Missy said...

She must have been relaying the injustness of the famous co-op come apart day.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...