Monday, July 23, 2007

Noodling

Have you ever heard of this? Chris had. But me? Nope, never heard of it. Until tonight, that is.

First, let me confess that I am a PBS junkie. I watch it more than any other channel. My favorite things to watch are documentaries... and I will watch anything. Cats? yep. The life of a man with down syndrome? absolutely. If a Ken Burns production is coming on, do not get between me and my tv. So, tonight, I watched a documentary on noodling.

"So", you may ask, "What is noodling?"

Well, it's when men go fishing for enormous catfish in the murky waters of a river with their bare hands. No hooks. No rods. Just their hands. They go poking their hands along the banks and the river bottom looking for holes that these big, bottom-feeders call home. Then, they catch them. And yes, sometimes they get bitten. And yes, sometimes they come in close contact with snakes and turtles and beavers. But who cares? It's a sport.

And although I find it ridiculous... is it any more ridiculous than racing around a room trying to stick a round object into a net with no bottom? Not really.

But the real question in my mind is... is it brave? The film maker called it that, brave. Where is that elusive line between brave and stupid? Personally, I don't think that we can call facing danger for fun brave. Facing danger for the protection of your loved one or your country, yes. Sticking your hand in a hole? I'm gonna have to say nope. I won't go so far as to say stupid either.

46 states have outlawed noodling. Huh. Why is that? Some say it's too dangerous. Well so is skateboarding and gymnastics. Should we outlaw those as well?

My Momma used to say, "It takes all kinds." I guess she was right.

3 comments:

Jawan said...

This sport was demonstrated one night on DIRTY JOBS with Mike Rowe on the Discovery Channel and I was captivated....I agree, it's not that smart.

Kim said...

fascinating... I think Quinn would do it, maybe just once, but I think he would do it. I saw the Dirty Jobs one, too. I love Mike Rowe and want to meet him. It looks absolutely disgusting. It would certainly take a lot(of money) for me to stick my hands in murky water, try to find a fish, and THEN stick my hands IN HIS MOUTH for me to pull him out. No thank you.

Anonymous said...

You need to go, its very liberating. There's nothing like grabbing a big fish that feels like snot and trying to force it out of a hole, while holding your breath, hoping that he doesn't pull you in with him. At the end of the day, after you've thrown him back since you cant eat much of anything from Logan (plus the fact that he's a bottom feeder...) you really feel like you've done something.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...