Sunday, July 15, 2007

It has finally happened. Ty is reading. Don't misunderstand, he's been able to read since he was 5 but now... now he reads for enjoyment. And competition.



I love to read. So does Chris. So does Maggie. But until we got involved in the Leeds Library Summer Reading Program, Ty just wasn't interested. That all changed when he saw the board of stars. When he realized that he would get stars to put on his name for all to see, he was all over it. That boy has, in the past week, read a Nancy Drew book and Stuart Little. Plus, he's reading small books to Brody so that Brody can get stars and prizes. So far, Ty has gift certificates to Sonic, Arby's, Papa John's, Dominoes and Food Mart. He's gotten a wallet and some other little toy. Apparently what my dear boy was lacking was proper motivation.



I am so like that. Sometimes, I have to call and invite certain people over for dinner just so I'll get the house clean. I say "certain people" because most of my friends are used to cluttered, somewhat messy houses. Other are made uncomfortable by what Amber likes to called "the lived in look". For these people, I feel the responsibility to have a clean house. That is why I call them. My father-in-law is one of these people. He is known as the inspector general. And if he eats with us, I feel compelled to serve at least 2 green vegetables for dinner.



What does this show me? For one, it shows me that I'm not as liberated from other's opinions as I like to think. It is hard to trust God and remember the gospel when I know that they're looking with judgement on my refrigerator shelves or stained carpet. I want to be perfect... no that's not true... I like my pet sins, but I want you to THINK that I'm perfect. Big difference.



Why can't we do the right thing just because it's the right thing? Why is the gospel so slippery? Rhetorical questions, I know.

No comments:

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...