Thursday, March 13, 2008

Shave and a Haircut

I got a haircut today. I really like it. A guy named Jason, down at Janet's Barber Shop, cut it. He's really very good. Before he cut it, he straightened it. I've never seen my hair straight before. All 4 of my kids were standing around staring. Chris was chuckling. It was very strange. I looked like a completely different person.

It reminded me of a time when I was about 7 years old and watched my Dad shave his beard. It's the only time I remember him without a beard. I remember standing and watching, amazed. But I also remember not liking it at all. He didn't look like my Daddy. He grew it back immediately and has never shaved it again.

Isn't it strange how we grow accustomed to how people look, or even how people act, and it makes us uncomfortable for them to change? Or we just don't acknowledge that they have changed. People get stuck in a box, this is how they are... But no one stays the same. God is continually growing and changing us.

The place this the most evident is in my marriage. I can never get to the point where I know everything there is to know about my spouse. Because he is changing and growing. I am changing and growing. And we have to constantly be learning each other all over again.

I can't think of a time when complacency is a good thing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm picturing the kids standing around you while you get your hair cut. Nothing like being in the spotlight! And I'm trying to picture you with straightened hair too and I can't. But I bet you looked great. Look forward to seeing your hair. The haircut revolution is taking hold in our church!

And thank you for offering to watch little man. I may give you a call tomorrow and take you up on that. Thank you thank you!

Brandon E said...

Isnt it strange? Tuesday night I almost didnt realize that melody was melody.

I wonder what Chris would look like with no beard and no scrubs...

Missy said...

I like your curly hair because I want curly hair and doomed to have straight.

Please assure me that YOU are going to still homeschool.? I need support!

Paige M said...

I would love to see you with straight hair. But I'll tell you, don't get too used to it ( if you liked it). I haved fussed with mine for over ten years now! I wish it still looked good curly...because it is still extremely curly! Maybe you should try the straight style for a while and I'll go curly!

Anonymous said...

Chrissy, we read your blog this morning and it started a real family "discussion" about hairstyles! We have every form in our family. Well, I learned everyone in my family hates my bald head when I goto my old fashioned barber. I was also told that everyone that knows me hates it too, but wont tell me! But right now I am pretty proudful about it! :-) I just got familiar with Derek Webb this week and noticed he doesnt have ANY! I think that is what I am doing next. Here's to "having the hair you want"

S. Gables

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...