Saturday, March 08, 2008

Friday Night Food and A Quote

Last night was, in my opinion, the best Friday night of the year. Very relaxed. No one was seeking entertainment. (I am not opposed to entertainment, but it is nice to just be sometimes.) It was very quiet, with lots of sharing. All five of us just ... communed. It was more than talk, it was more than that. I felt very connected. Very nourished. Very much a part of a whole.

I think that was why it felt very unreal when Brody fell and almost bit through his chin. Kim stayed at my house with the other kids while I took Brody to his Daddy at work. I love that, by the way. I love being able to take him to Chris. I walked in the ER, waited 10 minutes, Chris came in, looked at him and sent me home with instructions to glue it shut. (It wasn't in or too close to his mouth.) The wait in the ER would have been about three hours. I was there 15 minutes. I came home, cleaned it, glued it and was done. Today, you can barely tell.

But it was weird driving to the hospital on the heels of such a lovely evening. I can't describe it. It was just like it shouldn't have happened. And the way it happened, all calm and quiet and relaxed... strange. Brody cried but everything else seemed very calm.

I have no deep spiritual application. Other than that all things happen according to God's plan and calm is how it should be.

Subject change:

I have to be very careful about the things I pursue. One of the best ways of being careful is to think of my husband. Would it cause a hardship for him? Would it show him love? Would it honor him? Would it create hurt feelings? These are things that I ask myself because Chris is very generous and unselfish. He doesn't mind keeping the kids for me to go buy groceries by myself. He'll even keep other people's kids as well if I ask him. He serves me in a hundred ways. Sometimes it's as simple as getting my glasses out of the car for me. I could easily take advantage of him and hurt him.

*Sidenote:
I'll tell you men this: serving your wife is the most spiritual thing you can do for her. When he serves me, I feel loved and cherished and in return, I respect him even more. It produces in me a desire to do him good. It makes it easier to submit and follow him. It causes me to want to serve him.

I know that some of you don't know Chris. I say lots of nice things about him, I know. But I don't want you to think that he's easily manipulated or weak. Those of you who do know him know that he's very strong in character. If he feels the need to tell me 'no', he will and he won't back down. He even sent me to my room once. (I needed it.)

I asked him last night if I could go to Miami to visit my cousin for 5 days. I could tell it didn't make him happy but, as he saw no real reason why not, he said yes. He just wants me to be happy. He just loves me. It reminded me of Ephesians 5:25. "Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church—a love marked by giving, not getting. Christ's love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything he does and says is designed to bring the best out of her, dressing her in dazzling white silk, radiant with holiness. And that is how husbands ought to love their wives." - The Message


6 comments:

Missy said...

Wow...glad I didn't choose last night to be my first night!
Mark the date...I am planning on March 21st!
Good Friday...Ha ha!

Glad Brody is OK.
Glad you have a nice husband!

Anonymous said...

I'm getting over there one of these days. I just keep forgetting about it being a regular thing, every Friday night! I am also glad Brody is ok. Love what you wrote about Husbands and Wives...I'm getting Brian to read it with me in a few minutes.

Kim said...

I'm glad that Missy is planning on coming the week that you won't be there. I'm sad that I missed Friday night. Needed to be home with the husband, who had a bad day.

Paige M said...

I really love your writing. I miss hearing your stories now that I'm not in your Wed. night class. You make me realize I have a really great husband too. Thanks!

Missy said...

HMMM...Where you going to let me know you wouldn't be there or where you going to let me just find out when I got there?
Just for that I will have to come on the 28th which has NO special name ascribed to it!

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

missy, you can come both nights. just a thought.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...