Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Rest of the Trip, Finally!

Okay, rest of Day 2....



Brad and Mandi took us to eat at a place called Tijuana Flats. Oh my goodness gracious, that is some really, really good food. Tex Mex heaven. The kids ate so much they were sick for half the night. We ended up eating there the next night too.



After Tijuana Flats, they took us to Krispy Kreme. Can the night get any better? I think not.



I let each child pick a movie they wanted to watch with me. Maggie picked Phantom of the Opera, which we watched Tuesday night. Ty picked Return of the King, which we watched Wednesday night. I hate to say it, especially in front of KimHill, but not impressed with Phantom. It was too long. And I must say, get to the point already. Kim insists that I have to watch it again... with her. But I fear that if I still don't like it, she'll chain me to a chair and make me watch it 'til I like it. It scares me a little.



Wednesday morning, we got up early (9 am) and drove down to Hollywood. Hollywood is one of the most beautiful, fun places I've ever been. We had a marvelous time. Hollywood has a cool boardwalk. It's like beachfront road with no cars allowed. We rented cool recumbent bikes, ate pizza and enjoyed the view.



When we left Hollywood, we drove to Ft. Lauderdale to the theater and watched Horton Hears A Who. Great movie!!! We loved it.



Since it was Wednesday, Brad had to work. (He's a youth pastor) So, we surprised him at his church. It was fun to meet his kids. And to see him be a youth pastor. Most of his kids call him Pastor Brad. It makes me laugh every time.



Thursday, Brad took off work to spend the day with us. He drove us down to Miami, to the end (or is it the beginning?) of I-95. Strange. You're driving down the interstate, you go down a little rise and then, boom, you're in a neighborhood. It was crazy.

We drove down the strip at South Beach. Ty was especially grateful that we saw no naked people... I had warned them that it could happen. We cruised with the windows down, listening to the sounds. It was about 90 degrees that day. The sights and sounds of Miami were surreal. That place is huge. And the fashion lemmings are rampant. The girls tend to look the same: tall, tan, black clothes, tight hairbun, enormous sunglasses. Do they have any creative spark of their own? What would it take for them to feel the freedom to act on it?

After Miami, Brad took us... okay, Ty... to an exotic car lot. I'll post pictures later. There was a Rolls Royce there for the low, low price of 1/2 million dollars. I bought two.

Thursday was Brad and Mandi's 4th anniversary. Mandi had to work. Brad stopped at a florist shop and bought her flowers. So sweet. After, we walked to a small drainage canal and watched the wild iguanas. Yes, wild iguanas. There were almost 50 of them. I have video footage. I'll post that also. It was nuts.

Then it was time to head home. All good things must come to an end. And this trip was one of the most delightful times of my life. Maggie, Ty and I got to bond. I got to spend time with Brad, one of my most favorite people in the world. I got to know Mandi better and love her all the more for it. The weather spoiled me rotten. I've been discontent with Alabama weather ever since. I'm almost afraid to go back. It can't possibly be as wonderful the next time around. Right?

5 comments:

Kim said...

I cried tears of laughter when I read about Phantom. And then laughed evilly (you know, tapping my fingers). You WILL like it.

Alright, maybe not.

I enjoy our friendship.

Missy said...

I can so hear you saying that part about Kim...that made me laugh.

Laura said...

Sounds like an amazing trip with those two great (oldest) kiddos of yours. Glad you guys were able to go.

Anonymous said...

Just a sidenote: I own Phantom. Brian got it along with a couple of other movies free when he bought something a while back. So if you want to borrow it and let Kim Hill torture you, I mean hang with you while you watch it together, you may. Sounds like a fun time.

Ginger said...

That trip sounds like a movie! What a great time! You describe things so well,I can vividly imagine everything you wrote- especially the part about kim chaining you to a chair, trying to make you like Phantom! If not for the Spirit, she might actually be capable of something like that!

Loved reading about your fab time!

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...