Monday, March 27, 2006

Oh The Things We Can Think

Dr. Suess wrote a book with that title. But I'm thinking more along the lines of 'Oh the Things We Can Learn'. It's amazing the things that I learn when I'm preparing a lesson for my kids. This week we're studying the Byzantine Empire. Sounds a little dull at first but it's pretty interesting. Justinian was a cool guy.

Last week we studied monks and monasteries of Britian. The kids got to make quills out of wild turkey feathers... btw, thanks Bill. They used different things for ink: grape juice concentrate, ground hickory shells, etc.

Next week, we'll study the "Islamic Invasion" of around 700 AD which should raise some good theological questions from the kids.

Lots of learning going on in the Sharp home... most of it mine. ;o)

3 comments:

Laura said...

Crissy,

I know just what you mean. I think I learn ten times more than my kids do.

Today, though, (like most other days, really) it's not been about the history of ancient China, sentence diagramming or how to calculate cubic volume that I've learned/re-learned most. It's been the depth and intensity of my own wretched sin. I see it, but I'm still trying to crawl up out of the pit to REPENT and BELIEVE.

Mike said...

The joy of learning. May it always be not only a part of your life, but a passion also.

Jawan said...

I'm there in that same pit with you, Laura. My sin is shining today and I'm ashamed, hurt, and broken. Praise God that I'm redeemed.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...