Thursday, March 16, 2006

Homebody

People who know me think I'm a liar when I say that I'm a homebody. But I really am. I love being at home.

Kim is all the time talking me into going places. You see, I'm the extrovert and Kim's the introvert. But I like being at home and she likes keeping the roads hot. Whenever she talks me into a road trip, I end up doing all the talking and she just sits and watches me. Well, of course, that's not true... she does her share of talking. But I'm the dominant sister in public. At home's a different matter. But that's a whole other blog.

Yesterday, I was sitting in my lovely green armchair, reading my new Reader's Digest. Chris was busy with a project at the kitchen table, Brody was asleep, and the other kids were playing Legos. (They were trying to build Celtic warrior sets) Life was peaceful.

It was then I realized that the majority of our time spent at home is peaceful. The kids don't fight all that much... they have their moments but not lots. They enjoy each other for the most part. But when I take them out in public, all bets are off. They get bored and bickery.

As I sat there, it occurred to me that I like being at home because I can enjoy my kids when we're at home. Sometimes I like going places, but only when the urge is overwhelming or necessary. (I do not take my kids grocery shopping... we will eat grass and sticks first. They are panic attack-causing in a grocery store.) I like having people over to my house. That way I can enjoy my kids and my friends.

There are a few exceptions to this rule. Dad's, Kim's and Margaret's. The kids are used to being there and they have stuff to do. Kim Hill's is getting to be that way.


Side Note:
We ate at Boo and Evan's again last night. Much better this time. No spilled wax or near death experiences. I have to tell you, their cat is amazing. Brody played ball with it for thirty minutes. I'm not kidding. Brody would roll a golf ball to it, it would swat it around and then roll it back. Another game was Brody rolling the ball down the hall and the cat would reach it's paw under the office door and try to grab the ball. Brody would scream and laugh until he had the hiccups. Very funny!

That's the news from The Sharp Life. Night.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Home, Sugar, is supposed to be the safest place in the world for anyone. A close second should be other close loved ones. You're home, it seems, is as it should be.

Jawan said...

I feel right "at home" when I'm at your house! You let me kids be kids so I can relax and enjoy my time with you. Thanks for giving me a retreat each time I'm there.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...