Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Hypocrisy

Henri Nouwen wrote these words in his journal:

" We who offer spiritual leadership often find ourselves not living what we are preaching or teaching. It is not easy avoiding hypocrisy completely because we find ourselves saying things larger than ourselves. I often call people to a life I am not fully able to live myself. I am learning that the best cure for hypocrisy is community. Hypocrisy is not so much the result of not living what I preach but much more of not confessing my inability to fully live up to my own words."

To me, this is profound. Avoiding hypocrisy entails being open and honest about my struggles. Not trying harder to keep up and cover up. Hmmm. Something to contemplate.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Hey...I'm first with a comment. Cool !! Here's the thing about hypocrisy. When we have done all we can as humans, then the Love and Grace of God take over and complete the picture for us.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...