Friday, May 04, 2007

Hatchets, Lunatics and The Purpose Driven Life

Personally, I think that the title of this post is possibly my best title ever. I will in no way attempt to tie all three things together. In reality, I have three random thoughts that I decided to combine into one post.

Hatchet:
Brody has weird little names for objects. Mostly, he calls things the actions that they do or the sounds that they make. For instance, he calls a hatchet a 'hit tree'. Cats are 'Meow Meows'. A gun is a 'shooting'. A bicycle horn is a 'honking'. Very cute but somewhat strange.

Lunatic:
I was thinking last night on the way home about how different I am now than about 7 years ago. I was trying to listen to a particular violin piece on the radio and Brody would not stop talking. Now when Maggie and Ty were really little, I probably would have yelled at them. But I didn't with Brody. Why? Well you see, I was a bit of a lunatic when I had two little kids. Really I was. I think that it's because it was still so new to me. I was completely unaccustomed to the noise and chaos of having little kids with me all the time. Now I have four of them it bothers me so much less because its what I'm used to. It took me years to adjust. And that's what must be done... I adjust to them, not the other way around. It's a dying to self. Sort of like faith.

The Purpose Driven Life:
Let me preface this with the comment that I've never actually read this book. But I heard a comment that included this saying and it got me thinking. I realized that the things that I've learned that made a lasting impact on me have always been spiritual truths. The formulas and strategies that I've always been so drawn to have never caused a permanent change in my person. The true changes have always been a result of the Spirit revealing a truth to me and them working it into my soul, like a baker kneading bread dough. When I really think on this... I feel... relief.

Now, is it possible to somehow tie these three random posts into one thought? Well, let me think for a minute and see if I can....

....
....

The Purpose Driven Life of a Lunatic usually involves a Hatchet. :o)

OR

The reason that I'm not so much of a Lunatic anymore and can actually enjoy my Hatchet-wielding three year old has nothing to do with reading books like The Purpose Driven Life and everything to do with the work of the Holy Spirit in my inner being.

How's that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is truly one of the strangest post I have ever had the pleasure to read.

Thank you?

I do think you should read the book if you get a chance. I was reluctant based on it's crazy mass popularity. But I tried to withhold my film-snob "if it's popular, I won't like it" attitude I thought I handed over in return for my college degree, and actually read it. Or should I say I am in the midst of reading it.

I dedicated my blog (http://jeffandrene.com) to my forty-day commitment with the book. So far, it's taking much longer then forty days.

Cool, uh, crazy blog.

jeff alldridge

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...