Sunday, November 06, 2005

My Child the Taco

I was having a discussion with some friends the other day about how my kids respond to discipline. As a child, I was a "wailer". I would start shrieking and wailing the minute my Mother said anything about a spanking. She was always afraid the neighbors would call the cops and she hadn't even touched me yet. My kids are no different but they do have different strategies.

Maggie is the human taco. She folds her body completely in half backwards. With her arms flailing behind her and alternating from foot to foot. Her head is bent back and her body is twisting the entire time. And all this is before I'm even ready to give her a pop. She makes it much harder on herself. Same as with the rest of her life.

Ty closes in on himself. He stops talking. He clenches his cheeks and stoically takes it. He just wants to get it over with. Same as the rest of his life.

Gracie does what I call "the stiff arm". She's like I was as a kid. The weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth starts way ahead of time. She stiffens her elbows, gets red in the face and screams. She will fight me to the bitter end. Same as the rest of her life.

Brody is a little undefined still. He's only had to get a few spankings. But when he does something he knows is wrong. He'll put both hands on his rear and start sidestepping away from me, repeating the mantra "No Momma No Momma No Momma No" He wants to dissuade me from my present course. Pretty much the same as the rest of his life.

Makes me wonder? What do I do to avoid discipline? I justify, argue, berate, and avoid. Pretty much.... all of my kids combined.

No comments:

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...