Monday, November 21, 2005

Jeremiah 17:9

I am learning that everything is not always as it seems.

For instance, my heart doctor informed me that sometimes people mistake dehydration for hunger. He said that many people walk around in a state of unrecognized thirst, and once you get rehydrated, you feel thirsty. Experts say that many times, depression is a sign of repressed anger. So anger makes you feel sad. A Bible study I'm in says that our dissatisfaction with ourselves and our circumstances is really displaced or unrecognized hunger for God.

I discovered a new one last Sunday. Our music during worship is awesome. I mean really, really amazing. And last Sunday, Stokes, our music leader, sang a duet with a friend of his. I sat there listening and worshipping and before I knew it, I wanted to hug Stokes and Adam and thank them. But very quickly, I realized that I had gone from worshipping God to praising the servant. Why is that? What I was really feeling was thankfulness and praise towards God but my response was all wrong. I wanted to give the glory to Stokes. And Stokes didn't want it. He was too busy praising God.

Why do we do that? I don't know. But it shows me that I don't know myself as well as I like to think. Only God truly knows my heart. Only God can change it. Only God can expose my heart to me. And when He does, I learn something new about myself.

No comments:

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...