Monday, December 25, 2006

Shooting Stars

I always feel like I have to check my email before I can blog. But seeing as how I probably have 100 emails... I'm skipping email and going to straight to the blog.

My head hurts. I'm sleepy. My knee is swollen. Blah Blah Blah. But I've really missed my blog.

There was a wonderful meteor shower here last week. Amazing. I knew nothing about it, hadn't seen anything on the news or anything. But on the way home from Kim's we saw three shooting stars. Which is very weird. Maybe one but never three. So... when we got home I checked the net and sure enough, the biggest meteor shower of 2006 was about to really get started.

We did our evening chores, put on our ski gear, grabbed our blankets and turned out the lights. We spread our blankets in the middle of the front yard facing east and snuggled up. Wow! We saw big ones, small ones, fast ones, slow ones. Blue ones, green ones, a red one and lots of white ones. We stayed out until after 11:00 watching the sky.

Shooting stars are so unneccesary. They accomplish no grand purpose. But their beauty is captivating. You look and you look, watching hopefully. Waiting for your chance to have your breath stolen away. And when it happens... sometimes you squeal. Sometimes you scream and sometimes you just catch your breath. But always...always, you are amazed and delighted.

God's love for me is so like that. He doesn't have to love me, but He does. He doesn't have to bless me with beauty or the ability to enjoy it, but He does. He gives me gifts of pure delight. He sings over me with love. His love sprinkles down from the heavens on me as I breath out my thankfulness. Adria Ellis said once concerning God the Spirit, "He is around me and over me. He is beside me and under me. And I am immersed in Him." He gives me these glimpses of His beauty until I can be with Him face to face.

And I watch for Him. Expectantly. Eagerly. Breathlessly. Come, Jesus. Come quickly.

No comments:

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...