Friday, January 30, 2009

I didn't fall. I'm so happy. I skiied for two solid days and never fell once. I made my last run down the slopes repeating the mantra, "Don't fall, last run. Don't fall, last run." And as I walked to the parking lot, carrying my skis and poles, "Don't fall now. You made it all day. Don't fall now." And as I changed out of my ski boots into my snow boots, "No falling. No. Falling. No."

And I managed to go three days on snow and ice and didn't trip or fall. I don't usually fall when I ski but this year I felt vulnerable for some reason. I don't like to fall. Well, the falling itself isn't so bad, it's the landing that hurts. And when I get hurt, I always cry. Always. It's embarrassing.

Now here I am, at Patrick and Meghan's, looking around at all their pretty things and thinking, "Don't break anything. Don't knock anything off or swing your arms or miss the countertop when putting your glass down. Don't break anything."

I'm realizing as I'm typing that I've been in self-preservation mode for days now. I don't want to get hurt or be embarrassed or look like a spaz. I want to look good and together, even when I know I don't measure up.

Where has the gospel been today? Hiding under the Pottery Barn sheets, I guess. I am consumed with myself. My righteousness takes a hard hit when faced with my own inadequecies. And my inadequecies pop up at random times.

But I am reminded of what my heart seeks. Affirmation. Approval. To be someone's delight. And I am all those things. The only one who matters in the universe, delights in me. Is that enough? Today, I choose to believe it is even if I don't feel it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your posts always seem to touch my heart. And make me mad. Not at you, just at myself. I've been rushing around my home like a madwoman trying to clean it. I have an agenda in my head, a checklist that must be accomplished. I really dont know why I need it, or what is going to happen when everything is done. I think for me it's about control.

I'm glad you didn't fall. Come home soon.

Missy said...

I was thinking that your posts touch my heart and make me laugh. See, I'm just not as Holy as Melissa I suppose.

They make me laugh because they start off funny....like birthing a breech cow. I still think of that and laugh!

But you also have insightful insight to point me back to the Gospel and to the one who gave us a sense of humor in the first place. And for that, I thank you...and tell you to come back home....without falling!

Missy said...

I think its worth mentioning that Melissa and I are the only ones that CONSISTANTLY comment on your blog. Good to know who your true friends are isn't it?!!!

heather said...

I comment too Missy! I don't think true friends have to point that out. Besides I thought you and Crissy weren't even friends. So there!!!

Anonymous said...

no one is holier than me. ha ha ha.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...