Friday, September 26, 2008

Things Learned Today

1. Funerals are sad. (I already knew this one but was reminded afresh.)

2. People should NEVER ask someone with Alzheimer's "Do you remember me?" The answer is probably "no" so why make them suffer? Dozens of people asked my poor grandmother this today...

3. Sometimes well meaning people with grieving love that is overflowing can turn a funeral service into a worship service. Worshipping the person, I mean.

4. Worship services honoring people and not God are uncomfortable.

5. Baptists know how to feed people. I'm just sayin'.

6. Being ogled and stalked at your grandfather's funeral by your super-creepy 3rd cousin is really, really NOT fun. And a bit embarrassing.

7. My children are very subdued when surrounded by weeping relatives. That's a good thing.

8. Apparently my extended family has a much better memory than I do. They knew my name when their face wasn't even ringing any bells in my brain.

9. Receiving lines at funerals can be very cruel.

10. Paid caregivers have a higher standing in my family than I do.

and a bonus...

11. According to the eulogy, my sister's name is Kim Pahston and I am Christy Sharp. The only two names they got wrong. (But at least they got the paid caregivers' names right in the eulogy.)

And a question...

Is it wrong to lie to your super-creepy, stalker 3rd cousin's grandma when she asks for your address?

6 comments:

Kim said...

Maybe WRONG isn't exactly the word for it... Doesn't everybody have a super-creepy third cousin?

How very consistent for your family to get you and your sister's name wrong. You know, you guys aren't really that important.

Unknown said...

Your right about the food.

Missy said...

I'm trying not to laugh because this about your grandfathers funeral, and yet your comments make me snicker.

Why do you think I'm staying a Baptist? Now I'm just sayin ;)

Anonymous said...

Death brings out the best and worst in people, kinda like wills. Wills make people CRAZY. When my sister in law lost her sister and her family in a terrible car accident two years ago, I wanted to walk around with Jennifer for months and just put my hand on people's mouths.

And the memory thing with someone that has Alzheimers...I totally agree. I want to slap some people in my family with how they treat my granny sometimes.

I'm thinking of you guys. Love you.

heather said...

I love that you know you have a third cousin that is so Walker County of you. I also have them I just get so confused and can't keep up I am from Elmore County after all. Love that they don't know your names, classic.

Burt said...

Hey Christy, I'm in total agreement regarding the receiving line at funerals - they are cruel, painful, and tiring. The grieving family is often put on display like a caged animal having to "perform" and "be nice" to everyone when what they really might need to do is go somewhere and cry, sleep, mourn, or scream ... anything but smile and repeatedly tell folks they're "fine"

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...