Monday, May 26, 2008

Things On My Mind

Well, yesterday Gracie was bitten by a brown recluse spider. We were able to catch it, so now it's submerged in rubbing alcohol in a jar. I called Poison Control. They called me back 3 times over the course of the day. So far, Gracie has a bruise and a tiny bit of redness. It seems that she'll be fine with no big problems. I'd love for you to pray about that anyway though. Thanks.

The butcher called to let me know that our side of beef will be ready for pickup at the end of the week. I'm super glad. Organic meat just tastes better. Less fat, yada yada yada. The only problem with this is that our deep freezer died. Now obviously, I cannot keep 200 pounds of beef in my little freezer. So today we went to Lowe's and bought one. I like it very much.
If any of you are considering the purchase of a deep freeze, do your homework. We bought a chest freezer for several reasons.
1. I don't need to be able to get to 70 pounds of ground beef. It can be piled up a bit.
2. Chest freezers don't get left open because the weight of the lid closes it.
3. Chest freezers hold more.
4. Chest freezers are more energy efficient. Hot air rises, so when you open the lid, cold air doesn't escape.
5. Chest freezers are cheaper.
So for our purposes, a chest freezer is better. Now, my sister is a firm believer in upright freezers. To each his own.

I teased KimHill last week that they had way more stuff than we do. I said that because to admit any differently was nauseating. Now I'm home and the magnitude of that lie is staring me in the face. So this week, I shall purge my house. Lots of purging. My home is temporarily bulimic. The closets, cabinets, baskets, corners, attic, books, etc. are being gone through. Chris is all for it. I took a moment to make sure that he understood that this means that our house will look horrible for this week. It will look much worse before it looks better. Maybe I'll do some before and after pictures. Then again, maybe not. It might be too embarrassing.

My garden looks good. I need to weed it again. But the corn is almost big enough to thin out. I can't wait. I'm gonna can and freeze and probably hate it by the time I'm done.

This summer Chris, the kids and I are going to study different people. Joan of Arc (Noah's wife, right Burt?), Albert Einstein, Hudson Taylor, Eric Lidel, Sitting Bull, and some others. Person of the Week. And maybe a Place of the Week based on the person. Sounds fun, huh?

Well that's pretty much what's on my mind. I think I blogged to avoid the purging. *sigh* I'm lazy already.

8 comments:

Scott H said...

No need in freezing all that beef, just call us. We will be more than happy to help, especially with the those nasty fatty parts like the Ribeye!

Brenda said...

Chrissy - thank you AND your family soooo much for all that you did for our kids - "Kimmy Sue", Quinn and the boys. We knew there would be so much for them to do - you are such a blessing to them..and to Bill and I. God bless you all - Brenda aka Kimmy's mom in Florida

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

uprights' rule!! (sorry, got carried away there.)

purging is soooo good. i'm in the midst of it now.

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

the main reason i like my upright so much is that it was FREE!!! that's my fave word!

Missy said...

I never new anyone that ordered a side of meet before. Wow!

I have somebody really interesting you could learn about this Summer...ME! I am very fascinating, and I can take you on little trips and tell you nonsense facts. Sounds fun huh!

Good luck on you purging. Arg. I need to purge my Garage.
Let me know if your purging turns into a yard sale. I could do one with you!

Anonymous said...

My mom used to get a quater of a cow and divide it among my brother and I for our families a few years ago. It was the best meat I'd ever eaten, I have to agree with you, there is a difference! We have a chest freezer too, but ours only cost us 25 bucks from a yard sale. I do love bargains!

Glad you are back safe and sound, friend. I know what you did was hard to say good bye. I've definately been in your shoes.

Les said...

Gee Crissy, why didn't you call me? I would have gladly stored your dead cow parts in our freezer next to all the other frozen animal flesh my dad gave us ;-)

Love ya, miss ya

Missy said...

Sorry I haven't called you back. I was at the church from 10am-10pm getting ready for VBS that starts Sunday.
I'll call you back soon...I would love to do the study!

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...