Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Redemption

Redemption... I'm learning a lot about redemption. If you'd asked me a year ago what it meant I would have answered, "It's when Christ paid the cost for my sins." Which is very, very true. But incomplete.

There is another aspect of redemption that has to do with making all things right. Making all things new. A "this too shall be made right" kind of deal. Sanctification.

I see it displayed on our property. We have a hillside that was completely grown up. Thorn bushes, privet, sweet gums, honeysuckle and a single vine of the dreaded kudzu. We worked for days cleaning and clearing. Cutting and mowing. Even burning. Now the hill is cleared but rocky and rutted. We still need to smooth it and sow grass seed.

What did we do to that hillside? In a very real sense we redeemed it. Now we will maintain it or sustain it. The hill was in the grip of the Fall. We are making it beautiful. Or trying to anyway.

I have experienced the "already" of grace but everyday I feel the painful "not yet" of ongoing sanctification. I am redeemed but God is still making me 'right'. He is still weeding, mowing, burning, clearing. It's painful and frustrating for me the hillside. But He is making all things right. He is making me new. He is redeeming me. And He will not fail or grow weary or give me up as too much trouble. He is able.

4 comments:

Burt said...

i have some yard that needs redeeming ... when are y'all available?

Anonymous said...

You mean to tell me Crissy Sharp you were playing with fire again!!! I'm kidding, just the mom in me coming out :) I do love how you find the spiritual in everyday life. I'm very encouraged by this post. The Christian walk is all about redemption, there's hills and valleys and sometimes there is just a few flat spots too. Can't wait to see the hill in a few months.

j_webb said...

This post reminded me of a song by
Boy Sets Fire (the name even kinda goes along with this) ha!
It is called Handful of Redemption. heres a few lyrics from it.

The sick and tired refrain of everyday is branding itself into you.
Discouragement defined by all the times when everything just falls apart.
And your skeletons have broken down the door and left you there for dead.
How do we find a little piece of heaven in our time before we find acceptance?
When no one understands at this point that a handful of redemption's all we need.
Redemption's all we need.
When all it takes is a step that you never saw and burdens fall away.
..........Good post.

Missy said...

Crissy said...
"I have experienced the "already" of grace but everyday I feel the painful "not yet" of ongoing sanctification."

I love that! I may have to borrow it and impress some people ;)

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...