Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Been A While

It's been a while since I've posted. Our computer monitor died. We were without a computer for almost a week! That seemed like forever to me. And I was really busy getting things ready for a baby shower for my cousin. (It was a tacky disaster... thanks for asking) Life's been racing along and I've been trying to keep up.

I could blog about a million different things but I don't wanna. So I'll just blog the first thing that comes to my mind.

This will only impact you if you know the story of my mother's death.

Day before yesterday, I was cooking supper. Maggie came into the room and randomly asked, "Momma, when we all leave the house, will you start marking your calendar?"

Marking your calendar.... huh? "What?"

"Will you start marking your calendar?"

"I don't understand what you're asking. What do you mean?"

"I mean, will you start, you know, x-ing the days off your calendar?"

"Why would I do that? And what does that have to do with you kids moving out?"

"Well, that way I'll know exactly the day that you die. Not like Bubbe."

I never realized that it bothered Maggie so much that we don't know the exact day that Mother died. That she was dead for days before we found her. She wants a way to know for sure. I told her that I hope that she and I will be close enough and talk and visit enough that it won't be an issue for them. And I hope that I die of old age with her at my side, holding my hand.

She's very thoughtful, my Maggie. I pray that she never has to suffer the pain of a disentegrated maternal relationship the way Kim and I did.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Maggie has grown into a thoughtful, sensitive, caring person. I am so thankful and I know God has really blessed your family--I love hearing about your kids!!

P.s. been trying to call you--when's a good time? miss you...:o)

Kim said...

I love to see your children growing up. I love Mags.

Anonymous said...

Who are our kids turning into???? Just yesterday they were rolling in the mud (ok, so mine still do that on occasion)- where are those little guys? Mine are almost as tall as I am already and they're only 12 and 11.

It's sad when you live next door to someone and you have to read about her life on a blog to know what's going on....

Hi, Crissy!

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...