Friday, August 29, 2008

I told you that I wasn't dead. I guess I have to prove it.

I've started several posts in the past few weeks but halfway through they just seemed stupid so I deleted them. I've been very unsettled in my mind lately. Lots of things swirling around in there. Among them: football, church planting, evangelism, homeschool snobbery, Latin, death, condemnation, scheduling, needs, prayer, pain, writing, computers. Too much. No way to post coherently.

I thought I would hate being at the football field 4 nights a week but was surprised to learn that it's enjoyable. I don't get cellphone service, so it's like being on vacation when I'm there. Plus, Ty's a good player. That's always nice.

I have grown more and more uncomfortable talking about homeschooling. No matter what I say I'm judged by someone or else I hurt their feelings. I hate it. If I say that I feel I can give my children a better education than Odenville City Schools, then the homeschoolers applaud and public schoolers hate me and get defensive. If I say that, on the other hand, I'm not afraid of sending my kids to public school, then I've alienated homeschoolers and, for many, dissed their very reason for homeschooling. Now we must take into account the fact that I am using massive generalizations that do not apply to all people of either segment. So I don't want to talk about it. I don't feel like either way is the "right" way. Now... that's all I have to say about that. Period.

I have had needs that God has graciously met. I needed a vacuum cleaner. God provided one for me through the Nolds. I needed a laptop. God provided that too. And for free. He also provided a new desktop. I am grateful. Chris and I have recently seen church signs that tell us why God blessed us. 1."If you put God on display He will perform." and 2."If praises go up, blessing come down." These signs tell me that I must be doing something right. I'm praising and putting God on display. Only... that is stupid and heretical. I haven't done anything to ever deserve God's grace to me. And yet he blesses. Amazing. He is worthy of all the praise I could ever give and so much more. I am inadequate to express my inadequacies. I am loved. I am no longer an orphan. I don't have to flatter my Father, I just tell him the truth of how beautiful he is. His blessings to me bring him glory.

My grandfather if dying. It makes me more sad than I can express. It also drags back all the feelings of loss that my mother's death brought. I want to run from this emotional storm but know that I must run into the very heart of it. I know that God is there and holds my heart in his hand and still I run. I run from tears and the ripping of my heart. I run from a sadness that makes me nauseous. I run from my brokenness. I want God to rescue me from this need to run. He tells me to embrace this pain, feel it. Cry. I know that I must. I know that I will. And I dread it.

That, my friends, is a very brief synopsis of my thoughts. I've left much out. TMI.

7 comments:

Laura said...

Can I just say AMEN to the whole homeschooling/public schooling portion of this post. I feel your pain. Damn to hell with Satan the whole spoken AND unspoken argument about it -- and everything else that breeds division among the Body of Christ.


Now, that being said, I miss your posts, and I think all those posts you deleted were probably worthy of publishing, and I'm oh so sorry about your Grandad and the heartache it creates and resurrects. I'm praying for you.

Michelle said...

"I run from my brokenness. I want God to rescue me from this need to run. He tells me to embrace this pain, feel it. Cry." I just said these words almost identically today. I love reading your blog. It's sweet because I don't even know you but I know we all struggle with the same things.

Also I loved your comment about the church signs! It made me uneasy at first...then I laughed.

heather said...

Also amen to the school vs homeschool I like that we have the choice and I wish people could just leave it at that. I love you and I am praying for you and your family. God is always there and I am also glad He holds our hearts. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I really really hate the whole homeschooling/public schooling debate too. I also hate the stay at home mom vs. the working mom debates as well. What the heck ever happened to the thought of "to each his own"???? We will probably put our kids in public school. But does that mean I believe homeschooling is wrong. NO! I'm sorry you are feeling sort of caught in the middle of it all. Trust in Gods love for you when everyone else turns on you.

And your Granddaddy. Sigh, I read Kims blog about it. I'm so very sorry to hear about it all and all the emotions it is stirring up for you girls. Please know I'm praying for the both of you and everyone involved. I hope you feel the love of your friends while you have to endure this.

I can feel your tension and unrest in this blog as well as your gratefulness to our savior. I hope you find more days of peace in the near future, my friend.

Love you.

Missy said...

If this helps, our talk that night has really helped me in my thinking about how people view me as a homeschooler :)


I'm sorry for all that is going on right now for you guys. I keep you all in my prayers.

Please let me know if there is any way I can help ya'll.

Les said...

I miss you and love you! Let's get together soon.

Kim said...

I'm so sorry for your sadness and aggravation.

I've started to see that sometimes its best to keep your mouth closed about education choices (from either perspective) and encourage one another in the gospel. I HATE that it is so devisive among the Body. It's discouraging. And I believe it is of the enemy to distract us from the gospel.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...