Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Couple of Thoughts on The Gospel

I cannot imagine my childhood without church. My mom took me to church when I was 5 days old. Therefore, I cannot remember the first time I went. My kids are the same way. Only they remember only Community. If I sit here for a minute, I might could count the number of churches that I went to growing up..... 6 or 7, I think.

We went to mostly Southern Baptist churches with a random charismatic one and a dabble into Assembly of God. Presbyterians might as well have been aliens for all I knew of them. I became a Presbyterian, of my own volition, at the age of 17. And I've been one ever since. So it's a little strange to think that all my kids have ever known is PCA. I'm glad... it's just so different from my own childhood. The same pastor married their parents (Chris and I, for those of you who just got confused) and baptized all 4 of them. I have no recollection of most of my pastors' names. Anyway...

As Burt was preaching this morning, a contrast suddenly came to mind: the difference in the definition of the gospel in my life from childhood to now.

As a child, "the gospel" seemed like a forced march. Obligatory, straightforward, dull and not a little forbidding. Very clear cut: Jesus-died-on-the-cross-to-save-me-from-my-sins-and-if-you-don't-ask-Him-to-be-your-savior-you'll-die-and-go-to-hell. *said all in one breath* Simple. Dry. A little nebulous. And not at all compelling. It's what you told people to 'get them saved'.

But today, I realized that my response was vastly different. It's been a long time since I felt that way about the gospel. In knowing that my sin is deeper than I can grasp, I can begin to see the incomprehensible enormity of God's love for me. In knowing that He delights in me, that His anger has been satisfied on the cross, I can find my satisfaction in Him. In knowing that the penalty of all my sins has been paid, I can revel in His grace to me. And in knowing that "He who did not spare His own Son, but gave him up for us all - how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?", I can cling to him for my sanctification.

The gospel means freedom. It is gentle, strong, deep, vast, powerful. It is the story of what Christ has done for us. He had no sin and therefore, deserved no punishment. Yet, he gave up his freedom and glory to take on the hideousness of my sin. He took the physical punishment and the agony of being separated from his Father. He exchanged my sin and guilt for his perfect righteousness. All because of his great love for me. Me, an imperfect, lying, arrogant, cheating sinner.

Before, it was a formula. Now the gospel is the only truth. And the truth will set you free. A freedom from the dictatorship of self.

5 comments:

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

well, i feel like i did make it to church today. that was very refreshing, sister-dear. thank you for reminding me of the total transformation that God has done in our lives and our hearts.

heather said...

I grew up the same way. Ever searching never fully understanding. I now know the great love and what Jesus did for me and knowing that really knowing that as set me free. This past year and 1/2 now I have changed and growing so much so thank you for teaching me on Wednesday's and showing me the gospel. I know that sometimes you may not know your effect but it is wonderful and learning the gospel from you and all my fellow Pres. has been life changing. Thank you!!!

Missy said...

Good words.
When your a kid you don't understand that you always need the Gospel.
As an adult it must remain a constant or you will just flounder around.
Good words Crissy.

Paige M said...

Beautiful words to describe the beautiful truth! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with what you wrote. When I grew up I attended church very little. As a result of the hypocrisy I witnessed a lot I grew to hate church. Like I was so much better than what I saw too! I believed I could live my life without it. Brian and I both lived that way. And one day we walked into Community and everything changed. It was no coincedence, God was calling out to me the entire time. I just ignored him. When we started attending Community I started listening. Now I run to Him.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...