Wednesday, July 18, 2012

New Blog

There is an entire side to my life that I have rarely blogged about. I don't like controversy. I don't like being yelled at or making people feel uncomfortable. I avoid those things with enormous energy.

But...

I homeschool my children. I have been homeschooling my children for ten years. That's a whole decade. I am what is referred to as a "Veteran Homeschooler". But I rarely blog about that. For some reason, it makes some people defensive or aggressive. As I mentioned above, I don't like that being directed at me.

*Slight change of subject, but I'll tie it in*

It is a well known fact that the Sharp family is involved in a church plant. We have left our safe, comfy, family church and have ventured into unknown territory. It has been a struggle. Many of you know this and have prayed for us.

One of the things we have been trying to do is "get involved in the community". To me this has meant serving on the youth football board of directors. I've made a lot of contacts and hopefully, have loved a few people well. But I sense that I am trying to shove this square peg into a profoundly round hole. I don't have boys playing football this year. I don't have children in the school system (even if we put them in public school, we are zoned for a completely different system). It is really, really hard to meet up with people who move in such different circles. So I am asking myself why I'm trying to minister to people that I don't ever see. Why am I forcing this issue and ignoring the group that, by default, I belong to?

Am I uncomfortable with the fact that we homeschool? Do I feel ashamed of it? Yes and no. I have been berated, belittled and screamed at for homeschooling. Therefore, I am a little bit scared of people's reactions. On the other hand, I have been incredibly supported by my friends of all educational choices. Do I feel like we (Chris and Crissy) SHOULD homeschool our kids? The answer is a profound and sure, "Yes!" Do I think that everyone else in the world should? No! How other people parent their kids is none of my business and I would make a terrible Holy Spirit.

In the past month, since I've been thinking about these things, four people have come to me for advice/counsel about home education. Two more have asked me to teach Bible studies. I think it is time to be available to other homeschool mothers out there and quit hiding from the fact that I homeschool.

Please, please, please, please, dearest friends who do NOT homeschool, do not take this personally. Do not think that I in any way condemn you. I promise, I do not. At all.

I have started a secondary blog about this side of myself that I've never talked about. There are hours and hours of my day devoted to something I fear will hurt people's feelings. There are struggles that we have overcome as a family that I know would help others. So this other blog, Joy in the Journey, will be about our homeschool life. Curriculums, fears, reading lists, field trips, etc will all be on there. I don't expect all my friends to subscribe and follow, but if you are in need of encouragement, it might help.

Just so ya know, I am nervous about doing this. It feels like two worlds colliding. I have no idea what the implications of this will be. That will be up to you...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you know I'm gonna read it. But I won't yell at you, promise. Quite frankly I do not understand that, but whatever. I'm glad you are doing this! I'm not even a homeschooler yet you still encourage me in that area when you talk about it. God can teach us about him in all kinds of ways.

TurtlesButterfly said...

Btw, the Alabama Children's Theater is doing a production about The Watsons Go to Birmingham in Oct. will you tolerate the theater long enough to go with me? This comment is only loosely related to your post.

Les said...

Gah! Now you have 2 blogs I have to keep up with! Wretched homeschoolers...

Missy said...

I love your heart on this.
We shall chat about it Wednesday while we work on homeschooling!

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...