Monday, July 30, 2012

Bringing Blogging Back

The title of this blog is a bit of a wave to Justin Timberlake. Sorry, he's a guilty pleasure. Don't judge. Anywho...

My first cousin, who is also one of my loveliest friends, Jennifer, has decided to punt Facebook and go to a strict blog diet. Many of the comments that were directed at her when she posted this decision on Facebook were unsupportive. Some were incredulous. One person even said, "There's got to be a better solution!" O.M.G! Give up Facebook? Are you insane???

I think people have forgotten that we lived a long time without Facebook. Now, there are certain things about it that I love. I love that I can easily find friends from ages ago. Last week, I had lunch with my high school friend Matt. We would not even know how to begin connecting without Facebook. With FB it was super easy. A few PMs and voila! I took my two oldest to the orthodontist in B'ham and then met up with Mattie in Hoover. It was great!

But...

1. Group invites
2. Drama
3. TMI
4. False cheerfulness
5. Pushiness
6. Bad theology
7. Time waster
8. Farmville!!!
9. My Birthday Calendar
10. Duck-lipped pictures (Pouty face!)

I could go on, but I feel myself getting annoyed.

If someone wants to give up FB, that's fine. I do wonder if that can be easily done. My friend Lissa tried but discovered that organizations, churches and families make plans using ONLY Facebook. So if you're not on there, you won't know a single thing about it. That's rough. I know in Springville we have to remember to send out emails and texts, as well as FB. Otherwise, there are people who won't hear about it.

In closing, (because I am rambling) live and let live. Blog, Facebook, texting, email, or no internet at all... Can't we all just get along?


heehee, I cracked myself up

3 comments:

Jennifer Rollins said...

Preach it sweet cousin of mine!! I look forward to seeing what God has in store for my family and what He has to show me through this process (and when I say process I mean eliminating things in my life that aren't a "necessity").. It seems that I spend so much time on FB, when I need to be spending it with my family or in The Word, not the words of others! I realize that the amount of time I spend on FB is MY decision, but I feel it had become a habit, and dare I say, an impulse! Please continue for God's mercy and direction in our lives! I love you Crissy!

Anonymous said...

O, Jennifer, I do understand!!! I tried to break away from it, preaching to myself the exact thing Crissy pointed out, that I lived 28 years without Facebook but really it was more stressful to me to be without it than with it. I have begrudgingly come back to it. But I still struggle with those same old insecurities and aggrivations that Crissy listed. I am so thankful some folks are still blogging. I cleaned out my friend list and that has helped. Most of the people I disconnected from have nothing at all about how I feel about them, I just don't talk to them very much. I don't see them and I'm not intimately involved in their life. That doesn't mean I don't have to love them and pray for them. I just don't think they need to know everything about my life all the time. I'm sure it's a relief for most of them!

Thanks for the shout out, Cris!

Les said...

It can be done. I did it and have zero regrets. If I'm suppose to know something and it's sent out fb only, oh well, guess it wasn't that important :-)

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...