Monday, August 06, 2007

My Teacher Dane

"his only way out had been crucified by the very people who were supposed to provide the service."

This is a quote from Dane's blog. Which is incredible, by the way. You need to read it in order for this post to make much sense. Dane took a homeless man out to lunch and spent an hour 'being his family'. There is a part of me that wants to pat Dane on the back and walk away. Don't think about it too much. Don't process it. But I can't. I am affected.

I remember hearing Jodi Erickson Tada speak at a PCA function. She agrees with Dane. So does Brennan Manning. Oh wait.... so does Jesus. I want to justify myself right now. Real bad. But I've got nothing to work with. I am selfish.

I can hear some of you thoughts right now, because I have them too. "But middle class people need Jesus too." or " I never see homeless people." etc, ad nauseum.

But what about simple conversations with the smelly woman in line behind me at the grocery? Do those count? I notice what Dane did was treat Donnie like a person. He treated him with dignity and kindness. Not pity or condescension. He acknowledged Donnie's right to dignity as a man made in the image of God.

Chris has been preaching this at me for years. And to an extent I get it. But how much? How much of my life am I willing to pour out into people who are different from myself? Whether that's a homeless man or a lesbian or a redneck or a potty-mouth. Or what about family with different theology? Hmm... You tell me.

P.S. After reading this post and Dane's post, click here http://www.myspace.com/actofcongress and listen to "Loves Comes For Free". It's the song that came immediately to mind.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

Oh my! Dane's story touched me. I want to have the desire and nerve to "get dirty" in order to serve others. Yet even though I pray for the desire, I still turn my head and pretend they aren't there. Ugh, my stomach hurts now.

Paige M said...

Wow! What an incredible guy he is! Thanks for recommending this post!!!

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...