Sunday, March 25, 2007

Talent Show 2007

I've just arrived home from this year's talent show. Oh my gosh! So, so funny.

Maggie and Ty each did a poetic recitation. Shel Silverstein poems. Thank you, Aunt Denise for that particular birthday present all those years ago (Where The Sidewalk Ends). Gracie sang 2 songs with Mrs. Mona's class and also quoted a memory verse. I was proud of them all.

Adam did 2 songs by himself. Adam, Stokes and Connie did 3 songs together. WOW!!! Wish you could have been there to hear it. BTW, Amber, I'll try to get you a copy of Adam's new CD for your birthday that I missed. I thought about you all day but never made the time to call. Sorry, friend.

Betty was back by popular demand. She had written a new song and also performed some of her classics. It was a hoot. Mike Johnson played his guitar really well, as well as really loudly. No joke, I saw a young girl who's hearing impaired plug her ears. Very loud!

Seth played his guitar and sang. This year I noticed improvement in his playing and I could understand almost every word he sang. He followed up with an acapella version of the national anthem. He received a standing ovation. Jawan, you would have been proud.

And last, but most assuredly not least, The Staff Infections. For those of you who are uninformed, our church staff performs every year at the end of the talent show under the name The Staff Infections. It is always the best part of the night. This year they performed Stayin' Alive by the BeeGees. I laughed until I thought I would vomit.

Burt had on green suede boots with brass buckles and toes, his pants were too tight and his shirt was unbuttoned with gold chains around his neck. Stokes was alllll into it. KimHill said that he had his white-man-disco face. Steve boogied and Quinn tried to keep up.

Quinn was striking in his satin disco 'blouse'. Towards the end, they left the stage and dragged their wives up to dance with them. Go, Laura! Go, Laura! Do the hustle. Laura boogied down. KimHill took a minute to get over her humiliation and then she also 'got down'. Connie tried but poor thing, she was laughing too hard... or maybe she was just trying to cover up the fact that she found her husband powerfully attractive in his tight pants, bold satin shirt and very large chain. Anita was simply paralyzed. She couldn't quite find her rhythm. Poor thing. It must be a burden to be married to a black man in a white man's body.

All in all, an absolutely wonderful night. I know that I've left out a lot of acts but I don't have the time to recount it all. Everyone was great.I wish you all could have been there.

God is good. He has given me much to be thankful for. My church home is very close to the top of the list.

3 comments:

Jawan said...

O, I wish I could have been there. That would be have been well worth the drive. Yes, you are right....I am so proud of Seth. I am thankful I was given the opportunity to teach him when he was in sixth grade, although there were much more qualified people to do so. Just thinking of THE STAFF INFECTIONS brings a smile to my face. I'm glad Mitch only had to do it twice - I would have been frozen like Anita. Love ya!

Jessica said...

I just want you to know that I am now addicted to your blog...Adam and I sat down and laughed our way through the talent show entry...I just love your viewpoint on life!
It was great to visit with you at the Skellie's last night. We really need to do that more often!

Amber said...

Thanks for b'day greetings. You can get me that cd when I get HOME IN 56 days!!! yipee!!! I love to read your posts too--keep it up! love, amber

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...