Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Hello?

The telephone..... This is one of those things that I just don't get too het up about. ('Het up' being a phrase of my Grandmother's meaning excited) I am, by nature, a people pleaser. But when it comes to the telephone, I just don't care all that much.

Now when Chris reads this, he's going to disagree. He thinks that I'm too attached to it. He thinks that because I answer it when it rings. He is of the opinion that phones are a waste of time and money and that it probably causes cancer anyway... so why use them? He would rather drive the 40 minutes to downtown Birmingham and just take the chance that whatever store he's going to will have what he needs instead of calling ahead.

I, on the other hand, use it at my convenience but I don't tote it around with me. Sometimes I even turn the ringer off. God forbid! We have a cell phones but Chris and I combined use less than 400 minutes a month.

I know it angers many of my friends that I'm hard to reach and for that I am truly sorry. But phones annoy me sometimes. There are times that I enjoy it but if I'm involved in something already and the phone rings, I'm probably not going to answer. Sorry. Sue me.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Right there with you. I'm on the phone all day at work, and don't feel like talking to anyone except my husband and boys when I get home. That's why we have email! Also, I like to hang out "with" someone--I think that's why I enjoyed Friday nites at your houss--the fellowship of being with you all.
It irritates my family b/c I don't call enough, and they give me a hard time when my phone is dead or on silent. Sometimes I feel bad, but mostly relieved not to have to answer the phone-:o)

Jawan said...

Oh, how I agree! Some people think I must be rude (can you imagine...a rude pastor's wife - how dare I?!) b/c I only use the phone when I need something. Think about it....last time I called you, Crissy, I asked about the toddler bed and if I could get it when I come up this week. However, I have to tell the world that every time I call you you always answer your cell and seem to always be throwing or attending some party. One time, Laura Morgan answered your phone b/c you were too busy being a hostess. Another time, Kim answered your phone b/c your mouth was busy enduring a wine tasting extravaganza. Then there was the time you were watching firecrackers at the huge yard party you had for New Years. So, at least I was able to partake in the party festivities over the phone. What I will say is that, as much as I hate the phone, I love talking to you. But no friendly conversation needs to last more than ten minutes, I dare say.

Mike said...

I suppose I have a bit of a different perspective on phones. When I was a kid we were on a party line with 7 other families. Yep..you guessed it. A nightmare at times. Maybe we could throw Alexander Graham Bell a party and say...THANKS A LOT...

Unknown said...

You are a BEAST for not using the phone! What if there was an emergency and they couldn't reach you cuz you had the ringer off! I tried 4 times to call you to see if you wanted to come over today but you did not have your cell on and were not picking up the phone.
You know who this is.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...