Friday, March 25, 2016

Foreshadowings

"Plenty, misery, recriminations, sympathy. All such an exaggerated picture of the man-made way of life in a God-made world. If it all didn't prove the necessity of Heaven, I don't know what it means. I believe that all this loveliness (of Spring) showing through the rubble and wreck are just foreshadowings of the joys we were made for."
      - Walker Hancock, from the book The Monuments Men

Hancock and the other men saw the beauty of the European countryside and the world's most beautiful and enduring works of art. They saw these things in the midst blood, death, and destruction.

Sometimes I feel the same way. One friend bitterly rejects me while another comes alongside and comforts me. The flowers at a funeral can bring a smile among tears. My heart can be broken and blessed at the same time. The joys and blessings are the foreshadowing of what I'm created for, or rather, whom I'm created for.

Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword separate us from the love of Christ? No, in all these things we are more than conquerers through him who loved us.

If he is for us, who can be against us?

No comments:

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...