Sunday, September 14, 2014

Inner Life and Personal Theology

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm off the mark, but I think we don't need to know everything our loved ones think. Maybe there's such a thing as too much honesty.

When I'm tired I think mean, selfish thoughts. When I'm selfish, I wish that other people would just do things my way and be happy about it. When I'm in my flesh, I think things completely opposed to what my redeemed inner self truly believes.

Out of the heart the mouth speaks... but does that apply to my redeemed and reborn heart? In Romans 7, Paul explains that the flesh is a separate entity from who I am in Christ. "So it is no longer I who do it (sin), but sin that dwells within me." So that evil that comes out of my mouth, is the evil that lies close at hand. (V21)

I don't know all the deep things of God. I DO know that I don't want to know the grumpy, selfish thoughts of my closest friends towards me. There is grace to cover that. I let love cover that sin. (1 Peter 4:8) And I don't want them to know my grumpy, selfish, sinful thoughts- that's why I try very hard to not say them out loud. That's why gossip is so destructive; it indulges the flesh. The very flesh that should be crucified daily, not fed and petted.

No comments:

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...