Sunday, February 06, 2011

White Oleander

I watched the movie White Oleander yesterday. I thought it was a really good movie. I watched it based on the cast. Renee Zellweger, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robin Wright. I hoped it would be good, and it was.

Of course there were certain aspects of the film that I did not like. Robin Wright's character used Born Again Christianity as a crutch which is what many in the world boil Christianity down to. That part was sad to me. I'm absolutely positive that many "christians" do use it as a crutch; but I know I don't. I know I have surity that God is real. Christ is real and his sacrifice was real.

But there were moments in the movie that were very poignant. The main character's relationship with her mother was thought provoking, the way it shows how closely a mother and daughter are intertwined. Even when one or both of them are "profoundly broken." (a phrase directly from the movie)

The last lines of the movie made me think of my own mother.

“Even so, I find myself thinking of her, wanting to feel that wind. It’s a secret wanting… like a song I can’t stop humming. Or loving someone you can never have.
No matter how much she has damaged me… No matter how flawed she is…
I know my mother loves me.”

Wow. I think that says what I think most of the time when it comes to my mother.

Good movie. Very little bad language. Very few sexual situations. But it had the feeling of being very real, which made it more than a little sad at times. The ending was good though. I hate sad endings.


2 comments:

Michelle said...

That is one of my ALL TIME favorite movies. I blogged about it on my goodreads account not long ago too. I even quoted that last part. Weird! Anyway, I could talk your ear off about that movie and how much I feel like I "get it".

Anonymous said...

Holy carrots, I haven't seen that movie in years. But I remember when I saw it I hated it but found myself watching it again just for the hell of it. Good movie. GREAT acting. Hated that part about Christianity and that Renee Z. commited suicide. As far as the mom in the movie I cannot relate to that personally but now that I'm older I see very well how intertwined my mom and I are. I like what Sandra Bullock said of her ultra-liberal mom in 2 weeks Notice..."for better or worse, she's the voice in my head". And its so true!

BTW, my favorite part of the movie was the artwork she made with the photographs. I always thought that was cool and that I would do that one day.

Wow. Now I want to see it again. I'd love to know what feelings it evokes from me now that I'm a mother myself.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...