Wednesday, July 07, 2010

The Gospel Is A Beautiful Thing

An isolationist life philosophy, by its very definition, cannot include evangelism. It seeks to insulate the person (or family) from the 'evils of the world', thus excluding the unbeliever. But as the gospel is worked out in the life of the believing individual, it becomes easier to identify with the unbeliever. Being able to identify with the 'sinner' eliminates the fear of the 'sinner', thus opening the life and heart of the believer to the very people he was once isolating himself from.

The gospel is a beautiful thing.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love this. I read a quote the other day (can't remember where) that said, "I'd be a lot better at the whole 'love your neighbor as yourself' thing when I can afford to live in a good neighborhood." That made me laugh so hard but then I catch myself wishing I didn't have people knocking on my door from 7am-10pm. I definitely do wish that I didn't have to work this job but the good thing about it is that it really forces me into loving (in the verb sense of the word) my neighbors. And if we could afford a nice quiet house it would definitely be easier to love them when their bass isn't keeping us awake at night :) As far as relating to "sinners" I have always felt more like the man who we just had to call 911 for because he overdosed on drugs than with the self righteous who think they could never do that. (Don't worry I don't use drugs). And don't get me wrong, I do love the body very much and would be lost without them, but not being raised in a christain home, hitching rides to church smelling like smoke, (and all sorts of other christian taboos) plus getting kicked out of bible college has definitely kept me identifying more with the "sinners". I still recognize myself as one of them so there is no use trying to put up pretenses that I can't associate with them.

Michelle said...

OK, that was a very long tangent just to say, "I like your post." Sorry.

Grateful Introspection

Sometimes when a person is expressing gratitude, others call their words a "humble brag". Ty explained this to me. The person is a...